Back to Top

Blog AmigoMex Auto Insurance

Can I Use my US Driver's License to go to Mexico

Fri, 27 Oct 2017 13:24:20 -0700

US driver’s licenses are valid in Mexico. Mexican law requires that vehicles be driven only by their owners, or that the owner be inside the vehicle. The legal driving age in Mexico is 18. There are special licenses for teenagers under the age of 18 which allow them to drive under adult supervision. It is highly recommended that you follow this age restriction, as police have begun carrying out roadside checks more frequently in order to keep accidents at a minimum. If you have a US license, you may drive legally with it for an unrestricted period of time. Tourists may also drive using their respective licenses.

In case of any car accidents be sure to buy Mexican auto Insurance for a safe travel and a peace of mind. Mexican car auto insurance may be a requirement depending on state laws and regulations.

Driving in Mexico

While driving in Mexico is very similar to driving in the U.S. As a U.S Driver, you’re accustomed to roads packed with signs, strict right-of- way laws, and traffic signals. It’s important to drive with caution, make sure you’re clear before driving through an intersection.

Do I need a Mexico Visa?

You need a Mexico Visitor’s Permit (FMM). Casually called a tourist card or tourist “visa”, although it is not officially a visa.

What is a tourist card (FMM)?

According to the INM, an FMM, (or Forma Migratoria Múltiple) is an “admission document” issued to vacationing visitors of certain nationalities. Although the tourist card (FMM) is also popularly known as a tourist “visa” it is not officially a visa. U.S. and Canadian citizens driving to Mexico for vacation may obtain a tourist card (FMM) within minutes at a Mexican immigration office at the border with only a valid passport or passport card.

General conditions according to the INM’s (Mexican Institute of Migration)

The FMM applicant shall hold a valid and current passport or card passport (Tarjeta Pasaporte) in accordance with the international law regulations; in case the country of citizenship requires it, the passport must have a valid unexpired Visa.

The applicant is aware that the card passport (Tarjeta Pasaporte) can only be used in the border crossings by land and for visiting the border zone; it might not be used to travel to the territory of the Mexican Republic or used for international air trips.

The applicant shall complete the information needed in the request of the FMM, as appears in his/her passport. The applicant accepts under oath, that the information and documents provided are true; therefore, the applicant acknowledges herein that if any false information is provided, he/she could be subject to penalties in accordance with the applicable legal regulation”.

FACT: The free tourist card (FMM): The tourist card is free if your stay in Mexico is 7 days or less and you are traveling by land into Baja. This isn’t frequently advertised. Ask your local INM official.

NOTE: If you lose your tourist card, visit the nearest INM office in order to obtain a new one.

Save time by filling out the online  tourist card application  (FMM), you can pay online with Visa or major credit card companies. After printing your FMM form, it must be stamped byINM within 30 days to be valid.